As each of us will use a sun protection factor which differs depending on our skin type, the toothbrush we use will also be different depending on our teeth.
Now, how do you choose the right brush? Due to the great variety of shapes, sizes, models and brands we can find in the market, it is logical that we don’t know which one to choose. There are a number of variables that we have to consider:
- Brands certified by the European Union. When buying a brush made by a guaranteed brand, we ensure that the cut of the bristles is appropriate. If we use an unbranded brush or a brand which is not guaranteed, the bristles of the brush can open when we brush our teeth and this wears out more easily, causing damage to the gums.
- Electric or manual brush? Both brushes can be equally effective in dental hygiene if their use is correct. It is true that the electric brush offers some advantages:
- The brush head turns rapidly and is automatic, which means faster dental cleaning.
- The plaque is removed without exerting too much force on the tooth surface. With a manual brush we may be unaware of the force we are exerting. Too much force can damage the gums. Electric toothbrushes regulate this. In addition, studies show that electric toothbrushes remove more plaque than manual brushes do.
- The electric toothbrush has a clock that will measure the real time taken for each brushing, which is more difficult to control with manual brushing.
- Hardness: As a general rule, medium-hard brushes are ideal for removing plaque and food debris. It is always best to consult our dentist about the best brush in our particular case, since if we have undergone surgery, for example, it is better to use a brush with soft bristles.
- Changing brushes: At the Ortiz-Vigón Clinic we use a trick to remember when we need to change toothbrushes: “Change of season – change of brush”. That is, change the brush every three months. It should be replaced when the bristles are worn out, as a worn brush can damage gum tissue.
In short, there is no mathematical formula to choose the brush that best suits your mouth but these recommendations can help guide you to choosing the best option. As always, if you have any doubts,we will be happy to clear them up.